DNIJVI8azI21enJbfWoVBm5Kvjk

Friday, June 15, 2012

Product Review / Recipe Review: Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon



We came across this product because my wife stated she loved salmon cakes and we stumbled across this little pouch. It even had a recipe on the back of the pouch for salmon cakes. Couldn't beat that, and at the price of $1.29 per pouch? Yeah we'll try it. After trying it we loved it! It's even almost become a weekly meal for us. We have tweaked the recipe a bit to make it a little more healthier as well as added a little more flavor to the salmon cakes. I'll share that in a minute.

First, if you like eating fish I think you're going to like the flavor. If you're not a fish eater, give it a try. The flavor isn't strong at all, so you're not left with a powerful fish taste. I was surprised because the only salmon I have ever had was in fillet form. You know the kind you would get in a restaurant or in your seafood department. So I was a little leary at first. I mean how good can it be coming out of a pouch? Then we opened the pouch and dumped out the salmon. I'm not going to lie, if you judge this from looks alone you're probably not going to think it will taste good at all. Don't judge this on it's cover. Trust me.

Alright so it tastes good, what else do you have to say about this? Well it's a healthy option that can fit into your diet easily. I mentioned before that my wife and myself are doing Weight Watchers. Depending on how many cakes you make out of the recipe, determines how many points each cake is. We double the recipe which should give you 8 cakes. We always get 6 so our cakes are 5 points a piece, but it gives you good size cakes.

Here's the recipe with our modifications:
  • 2 Pouches of Chicken of the Sea Skinless & Boneless Pink Salmon
  • 1/2 cup Finely chopped green onions
  • 1/2 cup Reduced Fat Mayo with Olive Oil (Kraft)
  • 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
  • Dash or two of Cayenne Pepper
  • 1/2 cup Bell Peppers (We use the sweet bells Red, Orange, and Yellow)
  • 2 Medium Eggs beaten
  • 2 cups Panko Breadcrumbs (Use your judgement. Don't want them too wet or too dry)
  • 1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt
  • **Calls for Butter or Olive Oil to cook in but remember if you use it it adds calories and fat**
    • We usually leave it out and cook it in the T-Fal pan without either since it won't stick
Combine onions, mayo, lemon juice and seasoning in bowl. Stir in the Salmon, egg and breadcrumbs. Form into balls and flatten them into cakes about 1/2 inch thick. Over medium heat cook 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. You're looking at a prep time of about 10 minutes and cook time of about 6-8 minutes. Can't beat that right?

Here's some pictures of the process.






Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon was purchased by me with my own money.  I am not affiliated with Chicken of the Sea.  I am not being paid for my reviews and all opinions are my own personal opinions.

4 comments:

  1. nive review dear.. following you now..<3

    Indianbeautyforever.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the super sweet comment on G&G! I'm following you back now :)

    xoxo,
    Paris

    glitteratiandglamour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken of the sea pink salmon is a really good product and I have used it myself to make salmon cakes. I use Italian bread crumbs instead of the panko, but to each their own! Small chunks of cheese mixed into the patties is really good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a new follower please leave your blog link so we can follow you back. Please do not advertise giveaways here. Thanks!